Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Girl Power and the real reason I Started Martial Arts



So, I may not be the most aggressive person in the world, but I am still a firm believer in girl power.  We girls can kick ass, and some of my most treasured childhood heroes were the perfect examples of this.


This may have contributed to one really important part of my life: martial arts.  I joined an Isshynryu Karate class for most of high school in an effort to better handle confrontation.  When I got to college I joined the Jiu Jitsu class offered there, which on a side note, was probably one of the best decisions of my life (maybe I'll write about that later).  Anyway, my point here, is that I love martial arts and they have been extremely influential in helping me gain confidence.  However, I really can't deny the real reasons that I started martial arts: Mulan and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  


Photo courtesy of: http://lauratobin.webs.com/mulan.gif
When it comes to Disney Princesses, there is no one who is cooler or more badass than Mulan.  No one even comes close! Mulan lived in a culture where the way to honor your family was to make a good match.  To be quiet and obedient and "know her place".  You can complain all you want about restrictions and discrimination against women in our culture- I won't deny they're there.  But Mulan had all the same restrictions and about a million more and she saved China.  What's your excuse?  Not to mention she participated in some truly incredible musical training scenes. I can't even deny the fact that I watched Mulan about once a week as a child.    
Photo courtesy of: http://www.mikethefanboy.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/1120330742_1883557605_bio-tvography-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-lf11.jpg
Now Buffy manages to combine amazing fighting skills, sassy comments and a general sense of a commitment to what's right.  She never lets a challenge throw her.  Vampires, demons Buffy beats them all.  Not to mention she has some truly amazing fight scenes with moves I wish I could pull off. 
 
I can't lie, when I was younger I wanted to grow up to be some sort of combination of the two.  I wanted to have Mulan's convictions and singing ability with Buffy's awesome fighting skills and sassy comebacks.  I may not ever end up fighting vampires, but at least I do know some cool fighting moves.

Anyway, that's all the rambling for now.
Bye,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment